Sharon Slinger, Director at Constructing Rainbows joins us for episode 29 of the ‘Changing Construction’ podcast, the podcast designed to help people in Construction address the big challenges they face and discuss the key themes across the industry, breaking down stigmas, bringing awareness to issues and challenges, and hear from those at the forefront of change. In this episode, we discuss the business benefits of diversity and the steps the industry can take to become more inclusive.
Recap our previous episodes from the 'Changing Construction' podcast here:
- Episode 1 with Vicki Reynolds about Women in BIM and digital strategies here.
- Episode 2 with Sarah Fox about Construction contracts and avoiding disputes here.
- Episode 3 with Rob Charlton on the business case for Digital Twins here.
- Episode 4 with Paul Wilkinson on the digitisation of Construction here.
- Episode 5 with Dan Rossiter on the 'Digital Fluency' challenges here.
- Episode 6 with Ben Channon on mental wellbeing in the industry here.
- Episode 7 with Jacob Wardrop on getting rid of your document management system when nobody uses it here.
- Episode 8 with Paul Shillcock on ISO 19650 and information management processes here.
- Episode 9 with Dame Judith Hackitt on safer buildings and the golden thread of information here.
- Episode 10 with Jo Dodds on employee engagement and personal productivity here.
- Episode 11 with Kjersti Lerkerod on handling disputes amid the coronavirus situation here.
- Episode 12 with Paul Johnstone on successfully bidding for contracts here.
- Episode 13 with Najma Dunnett on managing contracts and disputes in a pandemic here.
- Episode 14 with Jeames Hanley on the importance of a digital strategy in a pandemic here.
- Episode 15 with Matt Bennion on growing through lockdown here.
- Episode 16 with Ann Bentley on surviving and thriving out of a crisis here.
- Episode 17 with Casey Rutland on 15 minutes of fame for Digital Transformation here.
- Episode 18 with Adrian Hill on how procurement can have a positive effect on the road to recovery here.
- Episode 19 with Gavin Crump on accelerating BIM in Australasia here.
- Episode 20 with Saul Humphrey on managing a crisis from the board room here.
- Episode 21 with Elinor Moshe on how to stand out in a crisis here.
Episode 22 with Dr Coenie Nel on personal development and the role of a Project Manager here.
Episode 23 with Fred Mills on changing the perception of construction here.
- Episode 24 with Shelley Lawrence on women in construction here.
- Episode 25 with Martin Geach and Shahida Rajabdeen on Information Management Delivery here.
- Episode 26 with Amanda McKay on the wider diversity challenge here.
- Episode 27 with Michael McGuire on starting your career in the built environment here.
- Episode 28 with Suibhne Cullen on digital fluency in AEC here.
Episode 29: Sharon Slinger - Implementing diversity and inclusion
Mail Manager's Chris Smith is joined by Sharon Slinger, Director at Constructing Rainbows, to chat about the current state of diversity within the industry, the barriers to entry in construction, how businesses can implement diversity initiatives, and why being more inclusive is vital to the future of the industry.
Having worked in the construction and facilities management industries for nearly 20 years as a Chartered Quantity Surveyor for main contractors, Sharon has seen and experienced the many positives that built environment careers bring. She also noticed the lack of diversity within the industry, and as more and more research was produced demonstrating the business benefits of diverse organisations, it became obvious to her that we all need to be doing better. So in 2017, she set up Constructing Rainbows, to share her knowledge and experience more widely to help others improve their businesses, the wider industry and ultimately the bottom line.
Where can you listen to the podcast?
If you like it, please share it, follow the podcast and feel free to leave a review.