In Episode 23 of the ‘Changing Construction’ podcast, the podcast designed to help people in Construction address the big challenges they face and discuss the key themes in across the industry, we are join by Fred Mills from The B1M to discuss his mission to change the perception of the industry.
Recap our previous episodes from the 'Changing Construction' podcast here:
- Episode 1 with Vicki Reynolds about Women in BIM and digital strategies here.
- Episode 2 with Sarah Fox about Construction contracts and avoiding disputes here.
- Episode 3 with Rob Charlton on the business case for Digital Twins here.
- Episode 4 with Paul Wilkinson on the digitisation of Construction here.
- Episode 5 with Dan Rossiter on the 'Digital Fluency' challenges here.
- Episode 6 with Ben Channon on mental wellbeing in the industry here.
- Episode 7 with Jacob Wardrop on getting rid of your document management system when nobody uses it here.
- Episode 8 with Paul Shillcock on ISO 19650 and information management processes here.
- Episode 9 with Dame Judith Hackitt on safer buildings and the golden thread of information here.
- Episode 10 with Jo Dodds on employee engagement and personal productivity here.
- Episode 11 with Kjersti Lerkerod on handling disputes amid the coronavirus situation here.
- Episode 12 with Paul Johnstone on successfully bidding for contracts here.
- Episode 13 with Najma Dunnett on managing contracts and disputes in a pandemic here.
- Episode 14 with Jeames Hanley on the importance of a digital strategy in a pandemic here.
- Episode 15 with Matt Bennion on growing through lockdown here.
- Episode 16 with Ann Bentley on surviving and thriving out of a crisis here.
- Episode 17 with Casey Rutland on 15 minutes of fame for Digital Transformation here.
- Episode 18 with Adrian Hill on how procurement can have a positive effect on the road to recovery here.
- Episode 19 with Gavin Crump on accelerating BIM in Australasia here.
- Episode 20 with Saul Humphrey on managing a crisis from the board room here.
- Episode 21 with Elinor Moshe on how to stand out in a crisis here.
- Episode 22 with Dr Coenie Nel on personal development and the role of project manager here.
Episode 23: Fred Mills - Changing the perception of Construction
We are joined by Fred Mills, Co-Founder and Managing Director at The B1M, to chat about his mission to change the perception of the industry. We cover The B1M's use of engaging video content, contrasted with other industry approaches and an established status quo around how the sector communicates, how we should communicate more outwardly with different generations, and when people first think of the value of Construction, what are they missing?
Having worked with a leading UK contractor, Fred co-founded The B1M in 2012 to upskill the construction industry on building information modelling (BIM). The award-winning “BIM For Beginners” series went on to gain several million video views and is now embedded in over 500 organisations worldwide.
Building on the success of the platform’s BIM content, Fred focused on sharing “the best of construction” to improve the industry and ensure that it appealed to the best talent – particularly important at a time when exciting new technologies are coming to the fore and when some of the world’s largest and most complex projects are under development.
Fred grew The B1M into the world’s largest and most subscribed-to video channel for construction with over 9 million viewers each month. It now employs an eight-strong team from its London headquarters.
The B1M is now one of YouTube’s most celebrated educational channels. It was hand-chosen by YouTube as a “Creator on the Rise” out of all 505,000,000 accounts, is the first built environment channel ever to receive YouTube’s Silver Creator Award and ranks in the top 24,000 YouTube channels worldwide. In February 2019 Fred delivered a keynote address at YouTube’s global education summit, EduCon.
In October 2018, Fred was recognised for his outstanding contribution to digital construction at the inaugural Digital Construction Awards.
Fred’s videos have amassed tens of millions of views making him a global figure in video publishing and a role model to millions of people interested or already working in construction. Fred is a leading influencer in the sector, frequently speaking at international events and sharing his expertise with schools, colleges and organisations.
Fred’s mission is to fundamentally alter the perception of construction on planet Earth.
Where can you listen to the podcast?
If you like it, please share it, follow the podcast and feel free to leave a review.